Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Soap Making


Made our first batch of goat's milk soap this past Monday. It seems to have been a success and my husband and I both had a lot of fun making it. Our youngest daughter has now been helping me develop marketing ideas for the soap as she is convinced we can sell enough soap so that Daddy can stay home and be a full time farmer. Probably not going to happen but she has optimisim and I would never try to squelch that!


Our first batch will be called Minty Lavender Oatmeal Scrub.
My husband is now researching hardness, lather, conditiong etc. to try and develop 3-4 recipes that will fit various essential oils and address a variety of skin conditions. It is so much fun!
We both can't wait to try our hand at our next batch this weekend which will either be a Coffee Soap for use in the kitchen or a Lemongrass shampoo bar. I am also working on a recipe on my own for a friends new baby using Calendula infused oils and I hope to perfect the soap before the holidays so I can suprise her with some. Of course it won't be much of a surprise if she reads this and figures out the soap is for her but then again maybe she is too busy to be online since new babies take up a lot of your time!
So, in the end we now have one more thing that we no longer have to buy at the store. We are now making our own: laundry soap, household cleaners, udder wash, hand sanitizer, bath soap, cheese, yogurt, kefir, butter, buttermilk and sourdough bread. Plus we also bake all of our own buns, cookies, cakes, pies etc. I don't think we have purchased boughten cookies etc. in a year or more! Love it!
Happy Homesteading!


No comments:

Post a Comment